Saturday, April 11, 2015

Why do we feel old in our 20s?

Honestly, I was little surprised when I first searched on the internet and I wasn't the only one who felt old in his/her 20s. I will be turning 25 next month and for the last few weeks I have been feeling sad about it. Birthdays are not exciting anymore.

However, I don't feel as bad as earlier about getting old. I will share my experience how it all started and how it came to an end.

I started feeling too old at the age of 18 or 19. Earlier I lived a carefree life playing video games, having fun with few friends I had but most of my time consumed by playing video games. All the successful people I used to see were way older than me and I thought I had all the time in the world to make up my lost time be successful. But one day I switch on the TV and see a guy only 2 years older than me has signed for Barcelona, then on other day another kid 3 years older than me has won gold medal in Olympics and a teenage girl one year older than me sells her album and breaks all the box office. It felt weird at first like where did all my time go and why am I still playing video games and other people are winning gold medals in Olympics? Few years down the line I see people as old as me or younger than are already at the top of the world. I felt I wasted a lot of time in my life and felt too old to start anything even though I was only 21. I was sad and hated myself for not being where I wanted to be.

Now, I don't feel old anymore because I have discovered new challenges in my life and I want to accomplish them. It's no longer about comparing myself to other people but it's only about me. I now understand how much persistence, hard work and dedication it needs to achieve success and why only few people make it. Those young athletes, singers and professionals have only made it to the top after years of practice and dedication. My journey to success will be the same, adding little value to my life every day to make my dream into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment